Thursday, February 25, 2010

Stomach Sensitivity

Don't worry, this isn't going to be a recap of my digestive troubles (although I did eat Mexican tonight...but that's another story). No, what I'm talking about is the fine line you have to walk with pregnant ladies about their bellies. We are excited to be pregnant and always want you to notice. However, beware in saying too much (or too little). When you're early on, say, 3 to 4 months, you are finally out of that awkward "I just look thicker around the middle" stage and are actually getting a little bump. If you have friends in this stage, please don't exclaim to them how you totally can't even tell that they are pregnant. Most women are pretty excited to be in this predicament and are equally (if not more so) excited to finally feel like she looks it. Then as you move along to the middle phase of your pregnancy you will really start to more noticeably show. This is basically where I am now. As everyone knows, we found out on Tuesday that we're having a girl (yay!). Since my appointment was on Tuesday morning, some of my coworkers decided to make last-minute predictions on the gender. One coworker told me to turn to the side so she could see how high I was carrying. Then another had me turn with my back to her. Now, she really is a very sweet person, but she proceeded to guess that it was a girl because "With a boy it's all in front and you can't tell from the back but with a girl you kind of spread out." Umm...guess that means my fears about the peanut M&Ms have come true. :-P She also asked how far along I was and when I said 19 weeks, was told, "Wow. That's a lot of baby for 19 weeks!"

Basically, the lesson is this: this whole body-changing is new and different and also exciting. So please be gentle in your observations and gracious in your compliments as we adjust to this strange period. Thanks!

2 comments:

McKenzie said...

People are rude. Can I "dislike" this? Dangit facebook and blogspot, get with the program!! I love any and all pictures you post. You look totally happy and that's all that counts.

Holly B. said...

Oh my gosh, they totally can be! But I am really happy & excited. :) I will try to be better about posting more pics. And I found your blog...it's so cute! Love how you write it to Ansley. :) She's such a cutie!