Wednesday, May 12, 2010

So I know you're sick of my lamenting about how big I am and how other people love to point out that fact. Well, too bad. I just had to share my latest little episode with you so bear with me. ;)

Yesterday I went to the mall on my lunch break. They have combined our Motherhood Maternity and A Pea In the Pod stores to create one store, Destination Maternity. I thought I'd check it out and see if they were maybe having a grand opening sale (they weren't). I have been on the hunt for a cute (and cheap) maternity dress that I could wear to work and on the weekends. My main requirement is that the thing have short sleeves. Apparently this is too much to ask. I just want to know...who are these pregnant ladies prancing around in strapless bras?? There is no way my girls would be supported and my heavy-duty nursing bras just won't look cute under a little summer sundress with spaghetti straps.

But I digress...I found what appeared to be a cute green, black and white dress with cap sleeves that was $35. Perfect! I took it home and tried it on last night. When I came downstairs to show Troy, he took one look at me and started laughing. So I did an about-face to go back up and he sputtered, "No, no...I'm sorry! But, seriously, that is just...ridiculous. You can't wear that." It seems that the green polka dots over my chest weren't doing anything but making things look larger and the floral patterned skirt was doing a pitiful job at camouflaging my belly. Oh well...it was worth a shot. But this attempt had me very frustrated. I was started to get on board with my friend Shay's philosophy that us pregnant ladies need a self-esteem boost, even if that means buying nicer and more expensive maternity wear. For her first pregnancy, she got by on Target & JCPenney. I have been doing the same (except with a heavy dose of Old Navy). But maybe nicer clothes is just what I need. I mean, after all, it's not like I'm only going to be in this stuff for 2 more months. I'm realistic enough to know that I'll probably be in maternity wear for a month or two after the baby comes out. And as I expand, it seems that buying bigger pants is going to be easier than shedding a few pounds.

So what did I do? I went to JCPenney and bought an outfit on clearance. Some habits are hard to break...

4 comments:

Shay-Zee said...

I am WITH YA. I feel the same way about the bra conundrum. There is no strapless bra on earth that could handle this task.

I wish I could let you borrow my new Japanese Weekend tent dress, er, maxi dress, but I am currently wearing it. Good luck!

McKenzie said...

ok i did just recently discover the maternity section in our BABIES R US (i know, right? and it's kinda big) and lament out loud that "dangit they didn't have that when i was pregnant!" i think they even carry heidi klum's maternity line. so it's definitely worth a stop!! kohl's also has a random maternity section...

but i think the majority of my pregwear was from old navy, too. except for the items i protested against and just bought big enough (and empire waisted enough) to cover the belly. :) but cheer up; you'll wear them for such a short time you won't have to deal with the frustration for long!!

Holly B. said...

Wow, our Babies R Us did not have maternity wear the last time I was there. I will have to check that out! And I'm going to be in Greensboro this weekend so I'll make a trip over to that one.

Yes, thankfully I am nearing the end! I'm sure one day I will miss elastic panels and fake flys on pants but that is hard to imagine.

Kate Candillo said...

Holly - I know it's been forever, but I absolutely LOVE you're blog. Congrats on the little one on the way!!

Now, realizing that I am not pregnant and never have been pregnant, I think you should bite the bullet and spend a few extra dollars on one or two cute summer maternity dresses. You're due later in the summer so you'll definitely get use out of them. And who knows, you may decide to have a second one sometime....