Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Baby Update

First, a little disclaimer. I apologize for the recent lack of pictures but we have a slight situation in that Troy has moved his office out of the house and taken our desktop (and Picasa) with him. We are hoping to remedy this problem soon (like, before our baby gets here and I am taking a million pictures of her) so please bear with me.

Now for the update...baby and I are both doing great. I'm midway through 34 weeks and it's a little scary at how soon she will be here. It kind of hit home when the first question the doctor asked at my appointment this morning was, "Are you having any cramping or contractions?" Obviously indicating that this could be likely at this stage. Thankfully, it is not. Then we listened to the heartbeat (strong and in the 140s) and he measured me (right on track for 34 weeks). Due to my aforementioned problem of everyone telling me that I'm huge (and baby too), I was a little concerned that maybe she is really big. This is a valid concern considering that my Mom gave birth to toddlers. The doctor asked, "Well, how big were you at birth?" I told him my older sister weighed 9 lbs 9 oz and I topped the scales at 10 lbs 7 oz. "And my Mom is really petite and only 5'2"!" Can you believe that he says, "Wow, and you're a good bit taller so you could have an even bigger baby!" as though that is amusing?? I was not amused. He then explained that if they think she is getting way big towards the end that they would do an ultrasound just to check. Whew!

So things are moving right along in our house. Over the weekend, we got lots done: we ran errands, Troy finished sheet rocking our garage and put up an over the garage door storage rack and I cleaned out some closets in the house. We were feeling so good about things that while out on Saturday, we decided to go ahead and buy the flat screen TV and media console we'd been wanting for the bonus room. Everything was great...but then Monday came and brought it's gloom and back-to-reality stress. I think this mostly affected Troy. He has quite a lot on his plate right now. For the next three weeks, he is going to drill in Burlington each day. He is the Company Commander at the Armory (so he's the boss) and there is much to do. He's also trying to get his long overdue promotion to Captain. Plus, he still owns his own business so he's trying to stay on top of that and work remotely as much as possible. And did I mention our baby is due soon? Yeah. Poor thing...I knew he was really stressed when the other morning I brought up the picture issue (see top of this post) and suggested maybe we buy an inexpensive desktop so we can manage the pictures from home? He totally flipped out and had the audacity to say something about finding the money to do that. Um, hello...we have a 3 day-old plasma TV still in the box. Plus, he works with computers and so it's kind of silly not to have one at home (and we probably have enough parts around the house to build one). He then left for work without turning off the soaker hose so we watered our plants for 12 hours yesterday. Whoops!

So please bear with us if we're a little frazzled lately. Troy has since calmed down and his new soccer season has started back up (because we have tons of spare time) and that has given him a good exercise outlet. And I'm happy because the checkout lady at Harris Teeter today told me that I don't look big at all. It's the little things. :)

No comments: