Sunday, December 18, 2011

Santa Claus is coming to town...

Santa's been hanging out at all of the local malls since, oh, Halloween I think. last weekend, we had to go to the mall so I gritted my teeth and decided I would put Lainey in her Christmas dress, "just in case." I did not have super high hopes but I at least had the forethought to change out of the pink sweater I originally had one and throw on a green shirt in the event that I ended up in the Santa picture. This was a wise move indeed. Behold the 2011 Santa picture for the Bentons:



Thankfully Crabtree Mall has the best system ever. When I saw the short line for Santa, I thought we had lucked out and hopped in line. Then one of Santa's elves with a laptop came down the line and asked if we were registered. No, I said, but the line was so short I thought I would take advantage. "Um, there's actually a 2-hour wait right now. You have to register and we text you when you should come get in line." Genius! So I gave her my cell number and we went and had lunch at Cheesecake Factory with Troy's Mom and her friends who had joined her for the mall trip. Sometime while wandering around Belks, I got a text that the wait was approximately 12 minutes and there were 9 people in front of us. So off we went and got in the super short line for Santa. Lainey was great because we weren't in line that long and I went ahead and took a few pictures just in case things didn't work out with the Big Guy:





Then it was our turn. Lainey insisted I carry her to Santa and then she just kind of stared at him. She warmed up a little and even gave him a high-five (after I did). But when Santa asked if she wanted to sit in his lap, he got a big ol', "No!" So Santa said, "Mom, how about you sit on my lap and put her on the far side away from me?" So that is what we did. I was so concerned with not putting my full weight on the poor guy and crushing his lap that I didn't even check to make sure Lainey's dress was straight or anything. But I think the picture turned out pretty cute, especially after Santa grabbed a stuffed reindeer for Lainey to snuggle (smart guy...he's done this a few times I think).

The other good part of that day was that it was my last trip to the mall for this year (I hope!). I am done with all of my shopping, save a quick trip to Target today to grab one last item. I was very pleased with this holiday season for our house. I had our house completely decorated and ready to enjoy just after Thanksgiving. All of the bins and boxes that the Christmas decorations came out of were stashed in the now-empty spare bedroom, along with all of the gifts and wrapping accoutrement. I even took last Friday off and spent the day doing my holiday baking and treat making for the neighbors. My only grievance this year has been that it has been an especially warm December. And because of that I think, people have not been so quick to haul out their decorations. It is sad when driving down my street, there was only one lonely house that was decorated (until you got to our end of the street). I made Troy get out there and put out our lights weeks ago so that motivated our immediate neighbors to do the same but otherwise, our neighborhood has been a bit lackluster this year. In any case, I think I'm going to suggest we drive around and look at the lights tonight, even if we have to wander a bit.

Happy Holidays to you all!

No comments: