Friday, March 5, 2010

Chalk it up to the hormones...

So Troy mentioned the other day that he had read my blog and he goes, "Wow, you were really kind of rude about the name thing." Was I?? I'm sorry readers. I intended to come off funny but perhaps it was lost in the blogosphere. Please don't feel you have to walk on eggshells with me about the baby name issue. We honestly don't know what we want to name Baby Girl so when people ask if we've picked out names, I've just been saying no. I was just trying to make the point that sometimes people can be a bit too forthcoming with their opinions on names.

I like our neighbors' approach. They are having a little boy and are in our same boat about the name (they have some in mind but don't really want to share) so they made up a fake name to tell people when asked. Their fake name is "Dijon" (or "D'John"...that spelling was my idea. I think an apostrophe really makes it, you know?). [Apologies to anyone out there named Dijon or D'John...it's a great name, really.] But it is always amusing when people excitedly ask them if they've picked out names and they deadpan that they are really leaning towards Dijon. It takes people a second but then they catch on and change the subject. I think Troy and I like Ma~ (you know, pronounced "Matilda"). ;)

3 comments:

McKenzie said...

I meant to say in my other comment that if and when you DO tell people the baby name, it's totally obvious when they dislike it! The comment is either "oh, that's interesting" or "where did you get that? is it a family name?" I mean if you like it, you'll obviously say you like it. If not - tough it's not your name. ;) I don't think you were being too harsh at all.

Holly B. said...

Thanks Mac!! It's really just a few family members that are a bit, um, strong-minded and making us want to keep it on the DL. We figure they'll have to love the name once it's attached to their precious little family member! ;)

Laura Burkehart said...

i'm just gonna call her Tammy until we find out her name ;)