Friday, July 9, 2010

Sweet Baby

Okay, I know I promised a slideshow of belly pics but then when I put it together, I was not sure that I was ready for that to be out on the interwebs! It's a lot of large bare belly. I might still...we'll see.

I know I've been a little absent from the blog. I had a couple of worrisome doctor's visits but everything's fine. It started with my 37 week appt where I was measuring 41 weeks. Um, yeah. I have always been concerned that she would be a large baby because I was (I weighed 10 lbs, 7 oz...go ahead, pick your chin up) and it was suspected that my Mom had undiagnosed gestational diabetes. So this is something I've brought up repeatedly but my doctors have never seemed very concerned. After all, my 25 week glucose test was fine. But last week they were a bit surprised by this and decided I should go back for another ultrasound to get an idea of how big she is. Wednesday I went in for that appointment and they checked her and her measurements were kind of off. She was a bit misproportioned with her head measuring small and her abdomen measuring quite large. Needless to say, I was very concerned and upset.

They decided to send me to Duke Perinatal Consultants to get a more high-tech ultrasound just in case their measurements were wrong. After all, her head is now very low so it was hard to get a good angle. So we went this morning...and they were right. I was really upset but the doctor was great and explained that it's not so much that she has a small head (she's just petite) but that her stomach is really large. She said that this is usually an indication that the mother has had some sort of diabetes. Well, imagine that! I gave her the background on my mother's experience and how large I was and she was shocked that my doctor's office had not kept a better check. She was really surprised when I told her that on a few visits, I'd had elevated sugar in my urine. She said, "And they didn't check you again?!" Nope. Soo...the baby is fine and she said there's nothing to be concerned about but I feel terrible that I've been poisoning her with my peach milkshake infatuation. This also explains the facankles. So even though I'll be 39 weeks on Sunday and am so close to the end, I'm going to work really hard to cut back on my sugar to see if that helps any. I'm just relieved that she's healthy and fine...she'll just have a big belly at first. So now we're just waiting on her to decide to come out!!

No comments: