Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Splitting Hairs

Perhaps it is the time of year...even though I've been out of school for 8 years now (whoa), I still always get that nervous stomach at back-to-school time. I think for everyone it brings a time when you want to start fresh and make some changes. I always remember when I was little doing our back to school shopping and getting a new wardrobe. I thought it was interesting that I've lately seen several people posting about haircuts. I think it's my back-to-school self, but I too had been lately pondering making a change. The biggest hurdle is that I'm a mom now...and I don't want mom hair. But isn't that what it is when you cut your hair after you have a kid? Even if it looks good, it's like, "Oh, she had to get a mom cut." Am I right??

Anywho...my long hair has been annoying me lately. It's so thick that it's like wearing a blanket on my head. Not so much fun in this exceptionally hot summer. And just in the past couple of days, Lainey has started grabbing a fistful of it (usually when she's in a gassy rage and so she's not very gentle). It's not like I do anything with it...I either wear it down or pull it all up. I've never been great at fixing hair. Plus, it takes like 10-15 minutes to dry my hair (and yes, blow drying is necessary...you don't want to see the frizzy wavy mess it looks like when it air dries!). That is some valuable extra sleep time in the morning people. Also, I have been thinking for awhile about donating it to Locks of Love if I cut enough off since it's not been colored or anything and is super healthy after nearly a year of prenatals.

So it sounds like I'm all convinced, right? Well, not completely. I know it's dumb but I'm a little afraid to cut my hair because I'm 30. I mean, I'm not getting any younger and I probably won't ever have long hair again after this if I cut it. So do I hang on to it as a symbol of my fleeting youth? (Again, scared of "mom hair".)

Help me out blog people. Should I cut it or not? If so, how much? Bangs? Bob? Suggestions please!! :)

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I think it would look adorable at your shoulders with layers! Do it! You'll cut off at least 5 mins of blow drying ;)

Shay-Zee said...

I have learned, from my own post on this subject, that people love to weigh in. So I won't weigh in. Except to say I think there is some wisdom in the advice of people who told me to wait until all the hormones have died down.

May I also recommend dry shampoo? I am down to washing my hair every third day.

Holly B. said...

I will have to investigate this dry shampoo. I've heard of it but have always been hesitant to try it. I agree...I should let the hormones die down a little but maybe I'll just get some more layers (ease myself into a potential hair change without giving up the length).